Author: US Visa Specialist

US Tourist Visa Thailand

Through its beautiful beaches, amusement parks, architecture, outdoor activities, and sports, many of the Thai national wishes to enter the US as a tourist. The US Tourist Visa allows you (a Thai national) to enter the US port-of-entry and request permission of the US immigration inspector to enter the US. Before you can enter the US, you must first obtain a US Tourist Visa. This is done by making a US visa application at the US Embassy in Bangkok or US Consulate in Chiang Mai. The Tourist Visa issued by the US Embassy in Thailand can be valid for up to 10 years.

You will be eligible for a US Tourist Visa if:

  • You can prove that you are financially capable of supporting yourself throughout your stay in the US,
  • and that you will be returning to Thailand after your visit.

This means that you should provide proof of your financial status and lack of reason to stay permanently in the US. Some of the evidences you can use are listed below as proof of your financial capability.

  • Employment letter from your company. This should indicate the date of your employment, salary and other compensation paid, nature of the position (temporary or permanent), length of the vacation or other types of leave granted to the applicant
  • Certificate of ownership in a business (for self-employed applicants)
  • Letter from the Thai company you are visiting (for business travelers)
  • Personal and business bank books and bank statements (original)
  • House registrations or titles
  • Marriage certificates
  • Birth certificates (to confirm family ties)
  • Evidence of your professional status (for doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc.)

US Tourist visa Application Process

  • Complete the DS-160 Online Visa Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application which can be accessed through the US Embassy in Thailand Website.
  • You should gather the required documents obtaining US Tourist Visa. The following must be submitted:
    • DS-160 Confirmation page
    • Application Fee
    • Valid Passport
    • Passport photos

Any additional requirements may be required by the immigration officer before your scheduled interview.

  • Purchase a Personal Identification Number (PIN). You can purchase it online, through their call center, or by visiting the Thailand post offices
  • Schedule an interview. To make an appointment for your interview, you can contact the Visa Call Center at 001-800-13-202-2457. The call center is open Monday thru Friday from 08:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
  • You must appear on the day of your interview, having all the required documents.


Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status for Non-US Citizens

It is a process wherein an alien will be converted to become a legitimate permanent resident in the US without the obligation to leave the country. The usual procedure of this is dissimilar to that from obtaining permanent residence in the US.

Adjustment of Status Regulation in Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)

According to the rules of the INA, the foreigner’s status that was scrutinized and acknowledged or paroled by the US can be amended by the Attorney General. He can recommend such rules to an alien who was admitted legally for permanent residence if that alien:

  • Creates an adjustment application
  • Is entitled to accept an immigrant visa and is admissible to the US for permanent residence
  • Has an available immigrant visa at the moment his or her application is filed.

Application Process for adjustment of status

To start the application, it is significant for an alien to have an available immigrant visa whenever his or her application for adjustment is filed. However, it is not an issue for those holders of a K1 visa and K3 visa due to a limitless amount of permanent residence cards (green cards) that can be given to those immediate relative immigrants such as spouses. The applicant should file his or her application in the USCIS district director in the district where he or she resides.

Adjustment of Status Discretionary Nature

Remember that the adjustment of status is unrestricted. The USCIS however, can at times deny an adjustment of status application either for a certain cause or for some unknown or no definite legislative reason to do so.

Generally, when the alien applicant is qualified by order and doesn’t have the so-called “negative factors” that will subject to deny his or her application, the USCIS will, therefore, grant the adjustment of status. But if negative factors appeared or detected, it will be balanced by the “positive factors” to determine if an adjustment should be issued. Proof of a firm relationship such as a spousal relationship is usually a sturdy factor supporting the adjustment’s approval.

In some cases, if an alien enters the US with the use of a Tourist visa and planned to stay in the country permanently, it will be considered committing a fraud against the USCIS. As a result, he or she might become subject to criminal forfeits and expulsion. Though this act failed to identify the fraudulence or malicious misinterpretation, it is still a “negative factor” that may cause for the denial of his or her adjustment application.

The Compulsion of advance parole to the adjustment of status

If the applicant needs to leave the US for a while, he or she must apply for advance parole in the assurance that he or she will not be going to abandon his or her adjustment application. However, advance parole is an alternative for applicants having legal personal or business appointment reasons.

Note that an application will certainly be considered abandoned when the applicant leaves the US while waiting for the approval of his or her application.

Adjustment of Status for K1 and K3 visa

Alien holders of a K1 and K3 visa who admitted temporarily can only be adjusted to conditional permanent residence. The US citizen petitioner of a K1 and K3 visa also needs to file for adjustment of status petition. Those immigrants in the US with conditional permanent resident status are ineligible for adjustment of status. Nonetheless, when the years passed and the conditional status is dismissed, the immigrant can file a petition to elevate the conditional status and therefore become a legal permanent resident of the US.

K2 Visa in Thailand

If you have applied for a K-1 Visa and have a child in Thailand or your Thai fiance has a child in Thailand then the child can go with you to the Us if they have a K-2 Visa is normally is applied for with the K-1 Visa application. The requirements and rules for the K-2 Visa are as follows. Note that when applying for a K-1 Visa you need to declare the child/children on the application forms for your Fiancee’s US visa so their applications can be linked.

Read More

Interview Questions

When you go for your interview at the US Embassy in Bangkok depending on the type of visa which you have applied for the questions are suited to the visa. These are the basics. Here is a sample of the type of questions for each visa. These would range from the fiancee visa to the marriage and CR1 visa which you might have applied for. Note that the questions in Bangkok tend to be related to the level of the relationship based on the US visa application.

Read More

Spouse Visa

There are two options in Bangkok for a spouse visa for the US for your Thai wife. The first is a K3 Visa which is well known. There is also the CR1 Visa which is also an option. Compare now! We have listed the two US visas below so you can see how the two differ and you can speak to our immigration lawyer about which of these are best suited to you and your Thai wife.

Read More

U.S. Fiancee Visa Process

The US Visa process in Bangkok starts with a meeting at our offices in Thailand. This is where the process gets started. All the needed documentation is collected and translated so that all the documents are in order. Once all the documents have been collected the process then goes to the US where the documents are submitted to the USCIS. Depending on where you live in the US this is filed with the USCIS under which your state falls.

Read More

K1 Visa Requirements

If you are an American citizen who has a Thai fiancee then you can now apply for her K1 Visa right here in Bangkok. Firstly you need to meet the financial requirements to take your Thai fiancee back. These are the financial requirements and also the general requirements for the US visa in Thailand. Speak to a US immigration lawyer in Bangkok for more information about the requirements for each visa in Thailand.

Read More